Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing!

The past two days I have been researching how to market my work effectively. I don't have my own rep or website, but I do have a page on children's illustrators.com . I definitely want to step up the exposure, so I'm considering adding a page on Picture-Book.com or The Directory of Illustration. But first, I contacted a few of my artist buddies for advice. Ya'll are just so encouraging and helpful!! Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help Janee, Jannie, Andi, Eric, Holli, Rob, Bobbie, and Robyn! Hearing from all of you has given me a big rush just like I get when I attend an awesome SCBWI conference. I'm excited to get to work and send out some postcards!

If you are an illustrator who has some tips for marketing, advice, or can give a thumbs up (or down) for Picture Book or Directory of Illustration, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts. And if you haven't read Holli's article on living the creative dream, you really should. I always enjoy hearing about people helping others reach their goals!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The best advice I got was from Lynne Chapman - and I won't tell you what it was. Heh. But seriously - she said that one should send out a promotional thing (postcard or otherwise) and then contact that company in the next couple of weeks to follow up and schedule a meeting. I'm currently working on my port so I can do just this.

I'd be interested to hear anything you've found out...especially if it's top secret!

Unknown said...

oh nuts. I should have said that the first step is to create a website...