Friday, April 21, 2017

Feel Good Friday Five

It's Friday, and that alone is something pretty special, but I was inspired by illustrator Gina Perry to make a list of 5 things that I'm super excited about. In no particular order . . .

1) I booked my flight to LA for the SCBWI Conference this July! Woot! Woot! I'm registered, got a roomie and now my flight is booked (with airline credit card points too! #winning) It's been 4 years since I went to my last SCBWI conference in LA. I'm already bubbling with excitement that I'm going back - wait for July! Whew! I could probably fly there myself!!

2) I've been revising a dummy book the past few weeks. I sent it to my dream agent and she asked for revisions. At first I was a little stuck because, face it, when you've looked at a story/pictures for so long it's hard to imagine it any other way. But I spent some time doodling, looking through my stash of favorite picture books for inspiration, and letting go of what was to make this book even better. I really like how it's coming along. I've realized that while it was good before, good can sometimes be a bit boring. Time to crank it to 11 and make it fantastic.

3) My postcard was in a photo tweeted by Giuseppe Castellano, Executive Art Director at Grosset & Dunlap. He posts pictures of all the illustration promo postcards he receives each week. Mine was right in the middle of his stash and that made me smile. I'm getting my work out there. Doing what it takes to break in to the publishing world, and believing in myself.

4) I was asked to design a T-shirt for my local chapter of SCBWI. I went to a workshop in Oklahoma a few months back and they had chapter t-shirts, so that got me thinking that we should have some too! Can't wait to wear one and spread the SCBWI love around town.

5) I've revised this one three times already. Basically what I want to say is that I'm living with an attitude of gratitude! I recently read "How the Secret Changed My Life" and it gave me goosebumps. I related to so much of it and recognized things that have come into my life as a result of the laws of attraction. I highly recommend reading it (and The Secret) Yes, I still have self doubt occasionally, but  as far as my path, now I have a sense of I CAN DO THIS. I believe. I'm stoked about children's picture books and I feel confident that this is my place in the world. I was given this desire years ago when I was in elementary school - it's the path I was meant to take. I feel more at home with my fellow SCBWI peeps than in an job I've ever had. I don't have to be the next Beverly Cleary or Eric Carle, but there is a place for me and I love that. I thank God every day for rekindling this feeling and for helping me reach my goals. I'm grateful for opportunities and talent to bring a smile to people with my art. :) I also recommend reaching out to those you admire/appreciate and say Thank You for making the world a better place. I did that recently, and I was overwhelmed by the love. I think that's what this world needs more of. Kindness, respect, appreciation, and sharing things to make the world better.

And just because I always feel blog posts are always better with art, here's a chickie I drew this week. Happy Friday!

No comments: