Wednesday, April 05, 2017


I've gone to national SCBWI conferences in the past, but I am extra excited about this one. I feel like my work has gotten so much better than the last time I attended a major conference. I've learned more, I've grown as a writer & illustrator. I believe in myself more. It's a great feeling. I feel like I belong!

Now, I'm not going to lie, it's pricey. However, I see it as professional development. People all over the world have to put in time at conferences or other types of professional development for their jobs, why shouldn't we make that a priority too? Yes, I'm the one paying for it, but getting out there and networking with other children's writers & illustrators, agents, editors, art directors . . . learning, enjoying the company of other like-minded people, filling the creative well . . . it's totally worth it! I can't wait!!

My new motto is "Leap and a Net Will Appear!" This conference is being paid for by illustration jobs (they will appear, I'm sure). I'm leaping into the children's publishing world with a new excitement & gusto. After a time of questioning my place in the world, I'm positive this is where I'm supposed to be. It feels right. My goal is to give back - to repay the Universe for the years of enjoyment I've had with children's books. I want to make future kids smile with a funny story or colorful artwork.

I'm determined to hold a published picture book that I've written & illustrated!! In order to make that happen, I need to believe, learn more about the submission process/how to get a foot in the door, and create every day, I am a professional, and I deserve to attend this conference! :)

No comments: