Friday, November 25, 2011

Challenges can be addicting

I love to try new things . . . well, not exotic foods or learning skydiving or anything like that, I like to try new CRAFTY things. :) You know, those safe, colorful things that normal folks look at and say "Oh, you're so crafty. I can't even draw stick people. I could never do that." Frankly (Mr. Shankly), I think most people have it in them to do way more than they give themselves credit for. You never know what you're capable until you try.

Recently, I got the hankerin to learn how to crochet. I don't know why I wanted to learn. It's not like I don't have a bazillion other things that need to be done around her. I have material to make valances for my kitchen that I bought last summer. I have photos to put into albums. And don't get me started on the endless supply of laundry, dusting or dog hair tumbleweed clean up I need to tackle. I wanted to crochet. So sue me. Not only did I want to learn to crochet, but I wanted to make crochet critters! Yep, no potholders or baby blankets for this gal. (Did I mention I love a challenge??)

First I thought I should probably start off slow & make a hat. How hard could that be, right? Here is my first attempt:
I have no idea why it's so wavy, but if there is a market for crocheted coral, I'm ready.
So, I tried again:
Flatter, but still pretty sloppy. I could stop there and make a coaster. Too ordinary though.
Heck, why don't I just dive in and make a critter like I wanted to all along?? Don't I always hear people say "Only have work in your portfolio like the work you'd like to do?" So why am I making a hat? I don't like to mush down my hair anyways. By golly, I was going to make a monkey!!
One step at a time . . .

A monkey head - not quite as round as the pattern, but I was keeping the faith it would all work out in the end.

Shazaam! Behold the monkey noggin!

Voila! After a week of teaching myself with YouTube videos, reading the directions, and stitching/ripping/re-stitching . . . I created this cute little monkey with his favorite red shorts! We've named him Peanut. :) (Mostly because he's sort of shaped like one - his head's kinda pointy at the top)

I could have given up several times - especially after that curly hat incident, but I pushed on. Sometimes you just have to take one step at a time and have faith in yourself. Tell yourself this is what I want to do, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to achieve this goal. Peanut is my first monkey, but he won't be my last. I've learned a lot creating him. Each critter I make from here will be made better & will be easier to create.

So, don't be afraid to try new things. Don't give up when things are not working out on the first try - be patient. Keep working. You are totally capable of amazing yourself, ya know. Go for it! ^__^

No comments: