Tuesday, January 05, 2010

New Year . . . New Opportunities

I am a big believer in setting goals and checking off the things on the list to make these dreams a reality. I make weekly goals and big long-term goals. Here are my goals for 2010:

*Sign with an art rep. I know the economy isn't great, but I still believe that signing with a rep is my best shot at getting consistent illustration jobs.

*Set up a better website. In my previous post, I explained why this is necessary. Now I just need to figure out how to build a creative website - the freebie sites are so business-like and don't allow me to design it how I want to.

*Connect with more illustrators & ADs. If you are either of the two . . . please add me to your LinkedIn connections, and add my blog link to your blog roll. I will do the same for you!

*Create some art for licensing opportunities. I didn't understand the whole art licening thing at the beginning of 2009, but now I think that would be so awesome. Eager to get my art to the masses!

*Learn new techniques in Illustrator & Photoshop. I'd really like to know how to add more texture to my work. So much I've probably not even tapped into with those programs!

*Make time to write. This has always been a passion of mine, but I put it aside to focus on illustration. I'd love to be able to do both. I will need to schedule some time to write, even if it's weekly and not daily.

*Organize my day more efficiently. Balancing work with family is a challenge for everyone, of course. I want to be sure I'm there for my kids, while still being there for me. Knowing how to do that takes planning.

*Live a healthier lifestyle. What goal list would be complete without a eat better/exercise more section?? When I get busy, I tend to make bad food choices and skip the exercise. In the long run, that doesn't help me out in all the other areas of my life, so why do I do it? Still haven't come to the root of why I eat what I eat and whatever emotions that's from, but this year I plan on getting a little exercise each day and portion control when it's time to eat. That's do-able.

*Prepare for the NY SCBWI Conference at the end of January. That's a short-term goal since it's at the end of this month. I've got lots to do to be ready, including an assignment to finish for the illustrator's intensive workshop. Totally excited about the whole trip!!!

May you have a very blessed, joyful, healthy, prosperous and extremely happy 2010! Take time each day to be grateful for your life, health & the possibilities that tomorrow brings!!

6 comments:

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

Excellent goals! Happy new year to you Deb!

roz said...

Great list, Deb. Sorry, I thought I had you on my blog roll, will update now!

Debbie Meyer said...

Thanks, Jannie & Roz! I love looking at your illustrations. They really make me smile! Happy New Year!

Lynn Alpert said...

Happy New Year, Deb! I am going to the NY conference - hope to meet you there. I am off to add you to my LinkedIn network!

Donna Farrell said...

Debbie,
We have a lot of the same goals! I'll also be attending the Conference at the end of the month.
I will add you to my linkedin network too :)
Donna

Window Cleaning Tuscaloosa said...

Thannks for writing